Making your own flatbread is really easy, cheap and they taste fantastic. I use mine with chicken and Tzatziki for yummy Greek wraps. But you could put pretty much anything in them, a great alternative to bread, which can get quite boring as much as I love it.
You will need:
- 7g Instant yeast
- 250g White bread flour
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp sugar
- 250g Greek Yogurt
Mix all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add the yoghurt, and stir together as best as you can. If it still seems to dry, either add a little more yoghurt, or a little bit of warm water. I tip it all out onto a lightly floured surface, and if it’s too dry, wet my hands before I start kneading. If I need more, I just wet my hands again. I find it’s the best way to not add too much.
Knead for 10 minutes, until it’s a smooth ball of dough, and bounces back when you poke it.
Place in a lightly floured bowl, put a plate on the top and leave for 1 hour to rise. After an hour, if it hasn’t doubled in size, leave for another hour.
Punch the air out, and knead for another 5 minutes.
Separate into 8 equal balls, and on a flour dusted surface, roll out into circles, around 2mm thick, and about 15cm across. Then leave to rest for a few minutes.
Fry in a lightly oiled pan over a medium heat for 3-5 minutes on each side. They puff up quite alarmingly. Which I really enjoy watching. Don’t worry though, they will deflate as they cool. Leaving you with gorgeous, soft flatbread.
Leave to cool slightly before serving.
- • 7g Instant yeast
- • 250g White bread flour
- • 1 Tsp Salt
- • 1 Tsp sugar
- • 250g Greek Yogurt
- Add all the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl, stir together well
- Add the yogurt, stir together as much as possible, then tip out on to a flour dusted surface
- Knead for 10 minutes, until a nice smooth dough that springs back
- Place in a floured mixing bowl, and cover with a plate. Leave to proof for 1 hour, or until it has doubled in size
- Punch the air out and knead for a further 5 minutes
- Roll out to 3mm thick and around 15cm diameter
- Rest for 2 minutes
- Fry in a splash of oil for 3 minutes on each side
- Leave to cool before serving