My Top 10 Weaning Tips
Weaning is something we’ve never had trouble with. I wouldn’t even say we’ve weaned, just given them food and they’ve eaten it. At just over 6 months they’ve both been eating the same as the rest of us, not even mashed up or blended. The Boy at 5 doesn’t like cheese, but that’s it, thy eat absolutely anything else. I’ve been very lucky to have two totally unfussy children.
So these are my top tips to make weaning as easy as possible.
- Don’t panic. They’re just tiny people, with a few exceptions, such as honey, they can eat anything you can.
- Try them with as many different flavours and combinations as you can right from the very start.
- Ice cube trays! For the first few weeks, they’re going to eat such tiny amounts. I’d cook up, for example, an apple, mash it up and freeze it in ice cube trays.
- Introduce normal meals after a few weeks, or straight away if you want. We gave The girl a Sunday lunch after about a week of just fruit and veg. I just mashed it with a fork.
- Introduce lumps early. I know 10 month old babies that still won’t eat anything really solid, because they’re almost scared and don’t know what to do.
- Let them have a go feeding themselves. But only put bits on their plate at a time, my greedy girl will just keep stuffing it in if there’s a lot there. Doing it like this means you get time to eat yourself too.
- Make your baby part of family meal times. We all eat the same food at the same time, the kids really enjoy the social side of this, and babies really like trying to copy Mummy and Daddy.
- Let them make a mess. Remember anything red stains, but don’t worry about the mess, it’s a fun way for them to learn.
- Praise them for how well they’re doing with something new.
- Try to stick to a routine. Babies love routine, so things like eating at the same time every day, will really help them adapt.
Has anyone else got any weaning tips? Did anyone have a hard time with it, is there anything you wish you’d done differently? Let me know in the comments.